Thursday, July 31, 2008

A+ Care For Our Hospital............Yeah Right

Once again our hospital has given less then steller care. July 19th I went to L&D because of horrible pains coming every 15 min for over an hour and a half. I did everything I could NOT to go in because I knew I would be treated like crap, always have been why would this time be any different?

I was right, they kept me for exactly and hour, treated me like I didn't know what I was talking about managed to get a urine sample and send it because "obviously I was dehydrated". Ellie wouldn't stop moving which irrtated the nurse since she actually had to stand there and try to find her. I know what a pain in the ass right? So as soon as the hour was up, I was released, told yep I was dehydrated and given a lecture about drinking water like I was a child. Nothing was ever said about my urine.

Two days later, I spoke to my doc and we was less the thrilled with L&D but what can he do now? Took another urine sample like usual at appts, things were worked out and on my way I went.

Fast forward to today, phone rings and its my doc office saying when I was there last week they noticed after the tests come back that I have a UTI and she would like to call in a script for me. Oh really? Well okay here is my info I'll pick it up in a bit.

Can someone please tell me why when I was there at the hospital this was not caught, and why over a week later I'm dealing with pain that I think is just normal pregnancy pain and trying to suck it up since I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but it is actually more? I mean seriously I've had more then my share of UTI'S and this did not feel like one but when a patient comes in at 24 weeks saying she thinks she is having some sort of contractions and you take a urine sample why the heck wouldn't you keep her there until your sure nothing is going on? Why as patients are we scared to go to the hospital when thats where we are supposed to go to recieve good care and help but yet we get treated like we are a huge pain in the ass and we are interupting their social hour?

I've seen and been on both sides of the fence on this paticular floor and NEVER do I try to treat people like they are just bothersome. I treat them how I WANT to be treated and only wish that I was treated that way the few times that I actually do need to go in. Oh and let me say this is NOT all staff, this has been my experience with the night shift staff for as long as I've started having kids. The day shift seems to be much more helpful and welcoming and the postpartum I find to be the same way.

1 comment:

One of the Bunch said...

I have found this to be true for most places that have a night shift. I know each time I went there with the exception of my first, I was treated less than what I should have been.

One thing I will tell you is that you need to be very upfront and proactive with your pregnancy and delivery. If you feel like you can't do it, appoint someone to be that "tough cookie" that all nurses hate. This is YOUR body, YOUR baby, and ultimately YOUR DECISIONS should play a factor into the equation.

The night hours do tend to bring more women in for contractions. I think it's mostly due to being so active during the day and when they finally allow themselves to relax some, they begin to notice their uterus is irritable.

Have you talked to Dr. V about the HUM? (Home uterine monitoring) Are you taking any type of oral meds for preterm labor or an irritable uterus?

I know you have great fears with your pregnancy. I will pray that everything will go as it should. Please don't hesitate to call for anything, any time of the day or night.

And your right, they should have gotten your urine sample back and treated you for the uti unless they had to send it for a sensitivity/culture, which will take a day or two. But still, you'd think someone would have gotten back in touch with you prior to a week later! @@

Love you!
*I have to add, the word verfication right now is fagpi. LOL