Sunday, January 27, 2008

Helpless totally helpless

Last night my dad stopped by and picked the kids up so that Mike and I could have a break. Had we known then what we know now I would have kept them home.

At 10 am I received a call from my dad which I thought was him telling me he was bringing the kids back, I was VERY wrong. I heard him say "I told you to put the dog outside not in the basement" and then he hung up so I waited a few seconds for him to get his barrings together and I called back. He answers and I say hello then he proceeded to tell me that there was a problem, Kaleb had just had a seizure and the EMS were there getting ready to take him to the hospital. Talk about helpless, I didn't know what to do, I was speechless, this had never happened before what happen to my precious baby?

He told me that he had a slight fever but nothing big and he had stopped eating at 3 am. Okay so what is wrong with him? He said that my step mom had laid him down for a morning nap and he woke up crying, she went in to get him and when she picked him up his eyes rolled in the back of his head, he turned blue and had started seizing for about 2 min. She rushed him to the bathtub to cool him off and in the meantime my dad called 911.

Mike and I met them at foote when they brought the bed in with my dad strapped to it while he held Kaleb you could see in Kaleb's eyes that something wasn't right. I immeadatly took him while they took temps and urine samples and then called for IV'S along with chest x-rays and heart rate. His temp at the time of arrival was 104.7 they were pretty sure it spiked over 105 when he seized. His heart rate was 75 bpm fairly high for a little one but with a temp that is normal. So IV of fluids, Motrin and chest x-ray his temp came down the blood test came normal but the x-ray showed pneumonia. So after 4 1/2 hrs in the ER we finally got home and are settled in.

Let me say that first I NEVER want to go through that again, and second I praise God for watching over my son and allowing it to be something that is treatable and semi small.

3 comments:

kathy jean said...

Wow, Jess, a Seizure?!? I suppose febrile seizures are not uncommon for the young'uns. And they get sick so fast. I hope your parents, and you parents, are not beating yourselves up about it.

Thank you, God, for taking care of Kaleb and his peeps.

One of the Bunch said...

I'm so sorry! I'm just returning home (2:45am) after spending 7+ hours in the ER myself (for Jonathon). I know how you feel. I have another friend who's little one is down at the U with the same thing. :( THinking of you all. Hugs!!

Zoe said...

i'm so glad that everything was ok! i know how scared you must have been! give kaleb a kiss for me!